Here are my favorite songs of the week I discovered on Spotify. Some I'd like to highlight include Dirty Heads new single, "Super Moon" off their upcoming record of the same name. Produced by Dave Cobb, I've heard samples of this album and I gotta say this will be one of their best and a complete album from beginning to end that deserves to be listened to in full. It's got a psychedelic hip-pop type of feel and the full album will be sure to delight fans new and old from the genre-bending band. Watch the "Super Moon" lyric video here for more context: https://youtu.be/0-_CGYCUrcA
Going through the rest of my favorites, here's some insight on why I chose these:
- I love Jon Bellion, I don't know how to categorize his music and that's why I dig it. His new track isn't one of my favorites but definitely excites me for more.
- Bikini Trill is a new surf roots band you need to know about. Their latest track is an ode to the 80's Classic Film Lost Boys and produced by Dirty Heads Jared Watson is a testament to the talent these guys bring for him to work with the emerging band. They'll be touring with Dirty Heads and 311 this summer!
- X Ambassador's new album is out and I'm still obsessed with the single, "Boom".
- New Madeon, when have we last heard from him? I love this French DJ, always making feel-good dance music.
- My co-worker Christian told me about reggae group The Frightnrs whose lead singer, unfortunately, died from a car accident and what I discovered this past week was a re-release of "Which Way".
- First song I heard on my last Release Radar was Jackson Breit's "Your Favorite", thanks Spotify, I'm officially a fan of the pop/R&B/hip-hop musician.
- I love courtship.'s Summer pop vibes and their new smash "Guy Stuff" continues the trend of music you can't help but smile to. These guys need to do a show in LA so my girlfriend and I can see them live! My girlfriend and I have shared past songs from them in love playlists we've made so good vibes and good music to kiss to :)
- My new artist spotlight is dedicated to Valley. The 4-piece alt-pop band from Toronto have captured my heart when I first heard "Swim" last year. I promptly added it to a playlist I made for my girlfriend and then she put "There's Still A Light In The House" on a playlist she made for me! The last song I mentioned is off their double EP, MAYBE which is a fantastic 12-track album split up into a Side A and Side B of 6 tracks each. I finished both sides and absolutely love the songs, this band is so exciting and I hope they can make their way to Los Angeles soon so I can see them live and meet them (fingers crossed). They make fun poppy love music but it's not dumb like what you hear on top 40 radio, it's sentimental and dynamic. Signed to Universal Music Canada, please make sure to follow them as the music they've been putting out just keeps getting better!